My latest speakers are 604-8k drivers in Altec 612a cabinets. They have a flat response down to 40Hz, but then start to roll off. I was thinking of getting a nice sub, or maybe a high quality EQ, to shore up the low end. Then, some recent emails with Gortnipper have got me thinking about MLTL cabinets.
I tried running a simulation for these as a vented box. The MLTL design is a 10cuft box tuned at 33Hz. This is similar to the 6-moons design. I compared my current 612a cabinet (tuned at 40 Hz) and a standard Altec 620 cabinet tuned at 26Hz. Below are the results.
You can see my 612 cabinet is pretty flat down to 40Hz, but then really rolls off. The 620 cabinet can go lower, but the response starts to sag below 100Hz. I can tune the 620 cabinet higher in frequency for a flatter response, but that shifts the roll-off higher in freq too.
My first question is, what does adding the quarter wavelength effect into the MLTL cabinet do to the frequency response at the low end?
Also, a MLTL cabinet design is sensitive to the cabinet length, driver position relative to the line end, and the cross sectional area. Is it possible to build a MLTL corner cabinet if it meets these same criteria? I like the idea of a wide front baffle and how a corner cab could couple with the room.
comparison: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2706/...c5f06cbd_o.gif
Thanks,
Dan







Bookmarks